If you are focused on minimising toxins in your life and our environnent you will be on the endless search to support products and services that are committed to non-toxic, zero waste, plastic free and recycling. Today we introduce you to PORZE who are passionate about making beautiful animal friendly, chemical-free body products using recycled coffee grounds (which would otherwise go straight to landfill) and donating the profits towards animal advocacy, rescue, rehabilitation and welfare.
Surprisingly coffee is the world’s second most tradable commodity after oil. It’s now a multibillion dollar global industry and continues to grow. But have you ever stopped to think what impacts the world’s favourite beverage is having on our planet? With this overwhelming increase in demand, there has been a knock on effect on the environment: monoculture agriculture, transition to sun cultivated coffee rather than traditional cultivation and unsurprisingly, there is also an enormous amount of waste produced during the manufacturing of coffee.
Porze have taken action to do their bit to reduce landfill and minimise this environmental impact. This then allows them to support organisations that enhance animal welfare, another of their passions.
Q1. What do you do?
We handmake coffee body scrubs and soaps from recycled coffee grounds (which would otherwise go straight to landfill), essential oils, raw sugar or salt. At least 50% of the sale profits are given to animal rescue, welfare, advocacy and rehabilitation organisations.
Q2. What got you started in the chemical-free industry?
1. We have been involved in the ‘War on Waste’ activities and became aware of the impact coffee was having on our environment. Since we live in the real world and the global addiction to coffee is not going to cease, we realised it was important that we explore the use of this sustainable food waste to manufacture our day to day products. Incredibly Australians consume 6 billion cups of commercially produced coffee every year; over 90% of the 1.8 billion kilos of coffee grounds end up in landfill and once there, it decomposes and produces methane, a greenhouse gas which is roughly 30 times more potent than carbon dioxide. We wanted to leverage this sustainable ingredient and minimise its contribution to landfill.
2. When were made aware of the amount of chemicals in our everyday products and the potential damage they could do, we were determined to ensure our body scrubs in particular did not include any chemicals, including preservatives.
- We use recycled coffee grounds rather than grinding new beans
- We use high quality essential oils (not fragrance oils)
- At least 50% of our profits are given to animal charities. ( 2018 and 2019, profits will be given to: Animal Aid Unlimited, Animals Australia, Humane Society International, PeTA, and World Animal Protection. )
- We are not only interested in low chemical usage, we are animal friendly and vegan friendly.
- We package our scrubs in individual sachets to protect the product from contamination (rather than using preservatives)
We are : Natural ingredients : Chemical free : Vegan : Animal friendly : Cruelty free : Recycled / Recyclable : Handmade : Small batch production : Australian made & owned
Sometimes come across businesses that say all the right things but don’t necessarily walk the talk. We’ve committed to using sustainable production practices in our business, and to reducing landfill wherever possible.
At the moment Porze uses convention coffee grounds, however we are investigating sourcing channels for organic coffee grounds and intend to move towards the use of organic coffee grounds in our products.
PORZE BODY SCRUBS
- Calming Coffee Body Scrub
- Coffee Body Scrub Mixed Pack
- Invigorating Coffee Body Scrub
- Sensing Coffee Body Scrub
- Uplifting Coffee Body Scrub
- Relaxing Coffee Body Scrub
PORZE NATURAL SOAPS
- Porze Soaps – plant derived, SLS & SLES-free coffee ground soap
Educating people about the benefits of low chemical usage and of ethical, animal friendly, vegan friendly products, Many people (as society has taught us) see these types of products as being somehow inferior in quality and effectiveness because of their lack of ingredients or chemical ‘technologies’.
Q5. What is your most interesting/best TIP to help families reduce their chemical exposure?
Don’t dismiss things as being ‘hippy’ or ‘latest trend’ or ‘vegan’ and therefore irrelevant to you and your way of life. Look deeper, read more, make yourself aware of what you are eating, drinking, and putting on your body, and make informed decisions. By doing what you have always done and using what you have always used, you are missing great opportunities to discover a better way.
Q5. Is there another non-toxic business that you think is great & would recommend?
I loving INIKA and Vonblu make-up, they are transparent, are their products are vegan, cruelty free, Australian made and look great!
Chemical Free Community | Directory – is about education, awareness & making it easy for folks to find non toxic and less toxic alternatives (food, product & services including services such as hairdresser, pest control, vet services, dental, dry cleaning, schools not using chemicals, parks not using glyphosate, speakers, courses etc..) via our online global directory ChemFreeCom.com. We are focused on transparency, B2C, B2B.
CREATE YOUR OWN ACCOUNT FOR FREE – CLICK SIGN UP
You can search for free but save yourself some time and create a log to so you can save your favourite listings to your FAVOURITES PAGE and you can access MEMBERS REWARDS/DISCOUNTS
LIST YOUR NO/LOW TOXIC BUSINESS NOW – CLICK SUBMIT LISTING
If you have a business that offers a no/low toxic option and you wish to list your business on the directory please click SUBMIT LISTING on the top menu and complete the webform. Any questions ? send us an email info-at-chemfreecom.com or call Jillian on 0411246133.